So it's been awhile since I posted anything at all about yoga. Bikram yoga to be exact and my 60 day challenge, so here you go:
Week 2 - I went 4 times. Yeah yeah, I know I was supposed to go twice on a Saturday to make for the day I missed but then I had this epiphany: I like yoga, I love going, but I do have a life and a family and a job and I live in one of the most beautiful places on the PLANET. People from all over the world come to visit where I live. I won't gloat over those of you that don't, but I do, and yeah it is pretty darn awesome.
So I gave up the 60 challenge and decided to take a life challenge instead. To enjoy yoga as much as I can, while trying to not crying in class, or trying not to puke and making sure I drink 5 liters of water a day. To enjoy my life and the balance that yoga might help bring me.
Week 3 - I went twice. My new found epiphany was not why I only went twice. My job sometimes sucks big ass balls and requires a commute that would kill most people. I drove a lot that week. It sucked. I was grouchy, just ask Mr. Blue. He told me to go so I would be happier and less snappy at him.
I don't think I snap, or get grouchy at all. Never. Well maybe just a little. Well maybe my level of grouchiness is why my oldest boy child won't dare to wake me in the morning unless absolutely desperate. Or the house is flooding. Or something is burning. Maybe it is why most people don't talk to me in the morning. Ever. Unless absolutely necessary and usually about life or death.
Week 4 - I went twice again. Not a trend I swear - but that job thing is a requirement and that travel thing took me out of state. I hate traveling. It involves hotels, and weird food, weird smells, and crazy taxi drivers.
Week 5 - I went three times. Better but not quite there. This can not be my new trend. I need to go more often and decided to start recruiting people to go with me these were the responses:
Mr. Blue: "Yoga isn't my thing, it's your thing, and it's a little crazy." Me: "It isn't crazy, it is perfectly healthy, and you learn so much about yourself." Mr. Blue: "Maybe, but not right now."
Friend 1, we will call her.....Charity. (I don't know anyone named Charity, but to protect the innocent we must call her something). Me: "It will be fun, it will prove our 20 year friendship, if you hate it, I won't make you come ever again." Charity: "Ok I will come" and we make the plans then life happens and things flood and bad things happen.
So the new conversation went like this: Charity: "Yoga is scary, it might be scarier than spiders, what about yoga spiders?" This is where I went wrong and described to her an experience in a class I took a few years ago where there was indeed a spider approaching me in the middle of a floor pose with my face to the ground. It kept coming and when the pose was released I squished it. I didn't break the pose and didn't lose my yoga. I do feel badly about the spider, but a spider bite where he was going would have been very very bad.
So now Charity won't go with me.
I ask random people to go. They respond with all kinds of things:
"That sounds so cool, I wanna try, wait...how hot is it? Never mind I think I have to wash my hair."
"The class is so long, is it really 90 minutes? I can't commit that long to a movie much less to weird yoga class."
"Why would you do that?"
"Those poses look painful, yoga isn't supposed to be painful."
Uhm yeah, it is. Relearning anything is painful. Relearning how to get your body back into shape and regain its flexibility is extremely painful. Just go with the pain and work past it, it will be a beautiful thing. Just remember to breathe.
Yoga spiders is worse than snow spiders, and shouldn't exist, and seriously. Spiders? For crying out loud.
ReplyDelete