Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Op-Sec

So I get lost. A lot. A super lot. I get lost from the grocery to home and they are in a direct line with 2 turns. I miss the turn to my house at least weekly and consider it a scenic route.

I got lost one evening on my way home from work. (ok more than once, but who really counts these things) I blame the snowy conditions. It was also dark and those roads have no lights. One turn looked like another and it delayed me over an hour in the back country roads.

Please note, I do live where I lived in late childhood and where I learned to drive. This is not a new place. The roads haven't changed and all the major intersections are the same.

I don't own a GPS device and before owning a smart phone would call my office mates on a regular basis to help me. I called my family, my friends and really anyone that I figured would answer and help me.

I admit, I am directionally challenged. I consider it op-sec. What ask you is this "op-sec" idea? Simple enough, I take different routes at various times all across the state, local cities, and just going from the grocery store to my house to ensure my safety.

Ok so the true definition of "op-sec"  per Wikipedia.com: (yes, I know not a true source, but so handy) Operations security (OPSEC) is a process that identifies critical information to determine if friendly actions can be observed by adversary intelligence systems, determines if information obtained by adversaries could be interpreted to be useful to them, and then executes selected measures that eliminate or reduce adversary exploitation of friendly critical information.

My interpretation:

My friendly operations can be defined as my life in general and my travel.

My adversary intelligence systems: The public at large. Including the other drivers, my passengers, and in general anyone I know. I am not paranoid. Really, I am not paranoid, I just don't believe that anyone has my best interest at heart except me.

My op-sec procedures:
1) Pretend to be lost. I am not really lost, it is a scenic route and ruins any sense of routine.
2) No bumper stickers,special tags, unique license plate or any other marking to identify my vehicle to make it a noticeable event. This is all well and good except my car is an orange color.
3) I rarely give real details about my life. I don't lie, I just don't remember all the important details. Like my son's grade, school, birth date, your birth date, my husbands birth date, my age, or anything else.
4) I often forget what city I am actually in and which one I came from and will misquote.
5) I don't remember your phone number, I don't really know mine. And please don't ask me what my direct office number is, just call the front office, they will find me. Maybe.

2 comments:

  1. Wait wait wait, does this mean I can just claim I am being clever and all... um... Op-Sec'ed, and not just a loser that can't tell left from right and could get lost in a scarf?

    Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I just gave it a definition for us all.

    ReplyDelete